Saturday, May 25, 2024

MOVING ON PURPOSE

I am a very sedentary seventy-two year old.  Been this way since childhood.  My Mom would chase us out of the house "to get the stink blown off you" and I would reluctantly go out, climb a tree and read a book.  I just don't like too hot or too cold or too buggy.

My younger sister (by 8 years) is the total opposite.  She gets in a minimum of 20,000 steps every day, usually more.  She and her hubby take active vacations.  Biking, walking tours, SCUBA, kayaking, cross country skiiing and they have a second home in NYC with no car so they walk 40,000 steps while they are there.

But I need to try again.  Twenty-five years ago I found a great walking buddy.  At first, she'd have to go ahead and let me catch up.  We went twice a week for an entire school year after our girls caught the bus.  She was taller than me (I'm 5'7") with a huge stride.  Walking with her was the only change to my life and it really worked!  I looked healthier and my cholesterol went way down.  Others noticed.

She wasn't available the next year due to taking care of aging parents.  I haven't tried VERY hard, but I have yet to entice someone to make a commitment.  Even tried asking several different people thinking I could walk with one once a week and another for my second day.  They were all worse than me finding an excuse to NOT walk.

My next plan, June 1, is to be comfortable exercising on my own.  My sister sent me a link from Instagram about a lady who turned 70 and decided she didn't the couch potato figure or health issues.  She was 5' 3",  200 lbs with a 39 inch waist. Her daughter (fitness person) came to her and asked her to please change her lifestyle so she would not get worse.




Train with Joan.  Instagram.  Facebook.  Website.

She has gone way beyond what I want to do (or could afford) but amazing what she looks like at 75.  (She's now 78)  She started out with stretching, walking and jumping rope.  Changed to healthy eating habits (I'm down 20 lbs from last year just by making my own food when the kidults make "kid food" ... french fries, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc) and using a lunch size plate for meals.

Maybe I will be able to quit blood pressure medicine.  I'm gonna give it a try!





1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could get myself motivated to walk more and eat less. I've lost total control and I was doing so well before my colonoscopy. Put back on what I lost and then some. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

CHEERFUL RECOVERY

Yes, I am STILL recovering from Tooth 13 root canal infection.  I have a regime of an antifungal lozenge 3x day for ten days.  They are NOT ...