Saturday, June 1, 2024

Blepharoplasty

Eyelid surgery.  After years of having trouble seeing without holding up a drooping eyelid, I finally had a double blepharoplasty on May 3.  My Mom and most of her female siblings have all had this done, some of them twice.

With age, eyelids stretch and the muscles supporting them weaken.  As a result, excess skin and fat can gather. This condition really affects peripheral vision.  Which I didn't know how much until I started driving after the surgery.  I've been going to the same eye care clinic for almost ten years.  The last few years the opthamologist has encouraged me to have the upper lids fixed.  Fortunately, they also have an oculoplastic surgeon (both and ophthalmologist and a plastic surgeon).  It took many months for an appointment which I spent looking at his before and after photos.  It was very interesting to see how much younger everyone looks AFTER the surgery.  Saggy bagging eyes just bring your whole face down.


Medicare covered the upper lids but the lower lids are considered vanity procedure.  I decided to go for it even though he said I could always do it later.  A friend had had her uppers done by the same doctor.  When I met up with her (and many ladies my age or older at a luncheon) three weeks after, I decided to get rid of the bags under as well.


Three weeks ahead of surgery I had to stop all vitamins and supplements as well as pain relievers.  What I didn't research was how horrible the healing process looked like!  My grandsons called me Zombie Gramma!!  I loaded some audible books which was amazing to listen to a 14 hour recording in just a few days.  Two of them.  


Surgery was for 2:00 pm ... no food or liquids after midnight.  I was panicked as I sip water all day long.  The scheduler gave me a great tip ... have a sip of water then spit it out instead of swallowing.  Really worked.  The surgery itself was just an hour or so but it took almost 90 minutes to get me prepped.  He woke me up about midway, had me sit up and follow his finger.  Then put me back into twilight sleep to finish the job.


The next 48 hours was ice on for 20 minutes, ice off for 20 minutes.  Thank goodness I was diligent because that sure helped with the swollenness.  There were two oral meds, prednisone and another to inhibit blisters.  Two ointments 3x day the first week, then once a day.  Aquaphor Baby on my upper face and and temples.  Now I use lubricating eye drops and Cerave eye repair cream.


No make up til my next appointment but honestly these peepers are loving the no mascara vacation.  Same with my whole face.  I'm sure I will dress up sometime soon.


I decided to make a "photo each day" project.  iPhoto album turns the photos into a slide show that is very dramatic.


Below are day of the surgery, day after the surgery and yesterday!






 










Now I have to be diligent with sunscreen every day and avoid sun on my face for six months.


The netting and the hat are SPF 50.

I still have a little swelling, tightness at the outer corner of both eyes and dry eyes.  This too shall pass!



1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented on this post! I know I read it before today. Be sure to look in your spam folder from time to time and to approve comments to publish.

    ReplyDelete

CHEERFUL RECOVERY

Yes, I am STILL recovering from Tooth 13 root canal infection.  I have a regime of an antifungal lozenge 3x day for ten days.  They are NOT ...