Sunday, July 19, 2026

SUMMER TIME ... and the living is busy

Summer weather has finally arrived in Lake Oswego.  Cool enough at night to leave the front door open and heavy duty screen door locked.  We have only had to use our bedroom a/c so far since it cools off so much (55).  AND we (knock on wood) have great air quality and low humidity.  Perfect weather for me!

The Gramma Uber has had requests almost every day.  Mr. Almost 16 is pretty self sufficient as many of his friends have older siblings to help out.  Mr. 12 has become very social since he started middle school.  Fortunately, all live in our little town.  I volunteer to drive as we cannot have sleep overs.  Although I did have to make a new rule ... when I drop you off, it must be for three hours.  Once I picked up a friend, two other friends were there and I took them to Bridgeport Village (outdoor mall) and 90 minutes later "Gramma? Can you pick me up"  I had stopped at a drive thru Starbucks on my way home and had barely been there when he called!  And I picked up only Mr. 12 as he had soccer practice and everyone else could linger longer.

My WLLO volunteer work has increased and we are learning a new software system.  Old lady brain overload.  I've also been invited to write an article for our monthly Newsletter.  Our Chairperson has no moss under her feet as they travel far and wide in all manners of ways, for weeks at a time.  Her husband has a progressive health issue so they are cramming it all in.  

Some great news!  Instead of our Farmer's Market, I joined our local CSA.  It is only 3 miles from home where our community garden plots are.  The offerings:

Spring: Head Lettuce, Salad Mix, Spinach, Arugula, Dill, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Fennel, Scallions, Cabbage, Chard, Baby Bok Choy, Broccolini, Summer Squash, Zucchini, and Beets

Early Summer: Head Lettuce, Salad Mix, Spinach, Parsley, Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Carrots, Turnips, Fennel, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale, Chard, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and Beets

Late Summer: Potatoes, JalapeƱos, Serranos, Head Lettuce, Salad Mix, Carrots, Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Kale, Onions, Shallots, Corn, Tomatoes, Cucumbers Bell Peppers, Red Italian Peppers, Eggplant, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, and Watermelon

Fall: Head Lettuce, Salad Mix, Spinach, Arugula, Radicchio, Orange Carrots, Rainbow Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Purple Cauliflower, Romanesco, Brussels Sprouts, Chard, Celery, Collards, Baby Bok Choy, Leeks, Beets, and Parsnip 
  
 

Thursday was my first adventure.  No one walked me through so I mistakenly took more than I was supposed to.  There were long tables set up in a barn (the whole area is City owned venture with garden plots, cooking classes, camps for kids and adults, farm to table evening dinners and the Farmer's Market style CSA).  Some tables had just one item, some tables had two and a few tables had three items.  Apparently, since I have the Mini, I was to choose ONE item.  (The 1/2 meant 1/2 pound)


This week I'll know a little more.  The first night I roasted radishes, broccoli and turnips accompanied by sliced tomato, sliced cucumbers (which aren't even on the above list) and sliced turnips.  I added a few tiny fresh mozzarella balls and that was dinner.  The next night I made a huge salad topped with roasted veggies.

I have chard and no clue how to make it kid friendly!  Stay tuned on that.  My sister is mostly vegetarian and very adventuresome in her cooking, so she will help (she sent me a NYT recipe with three spices I had never heard of).  In case you are wondering, it works out to about $22 a week.  There are also some add-on choices ... salad lover (a bigger second bag of lettuces)(to which I did subscribe), and this week eggs and a small box of fruit.

At 74, I'm still finding new adventures—not by climbing mountains or flying to Africa or climbing Machu Picchu, but by bringing home vegetables I've never cooked before. There's something lovely about discovering that an adventure can be as simple as a basket of chard, a handful of tiny turnips, and two grandsons willing to taste-test.










No comments:

Post a Comment

SUMMER TIME ... and the living is busy

Summer weather has finally arrived in Lake Oswego.  Cool enough at night to leave the front door open and heavy duty screen door locked.  We...