Sunday, July 12, 2026

CONSTANT AGING

The Joy of Wearing the Same Thing

Maybe it’s from wearing a uniform for twelve years of Catholic school. It made getting ready for school so quick and easy and my babysitting money could be “fun” clothes. I just love having a capsule wardrobe for both summer and winter (before that was even a term!).


This morning I laughed when I asked Max to dress my Bitmoji (for a WLLO meme) in what I realized is... me. Khaki-and-white striped linen pants. White collared shirt. Iced coffee in hand. That's not just an outfit—it's practically my summer personality.

I love the luxury of fewer decisions. I don’t have to stand in front of the closet negotiating with hangers. At 74 I think I’ve earned the right to stop chasing trends and start embracing what makes me feel comfortable and confident.  
It's about reaching into the closet, pulling out something that feels like yourself, and spending your energy on things that matter more...being UberGramma, volunteering, enjoying the family and so on.


The summer look has khaki striped linen pants, white linen pants and khaki cotton pants. I have several white shirts, one khaki and white striped shirt and one khaki shirt. For fancier events I have a white gauze long scarf and a light khaki long scarf.


As you may remember, hats are my secret weapon. They hide a bad hair day, shade my eyes, and distract from my “crinkles” and lack of makeup. (Kate came up with that term when she was little and didn’t want to kiss her Granny good night because she had crinkles” and I love that term better than wrinkles) I’ll take it. My past collection were cloche style hats with a 2” wide band of changeable burlap ribbon to contrast. This summer I tried a cabbie style hat from Maui days. A whole new look for my pointy head! One white, one khaki and one black for winter.

Style isn't about fooling anyone into thinking you're younger.  It's about feeling like yourself when you catch your reflection in a store window. I don't think, "I wish I looked younger” I think, "There's the lady in the hat.” And I'm perfectly happy to be her.


Maybe I should rename this blog to aging comfortably.






6 comments:

  1. I love your approach to fashion and filling your closet. I can't wait until I can do a fashion make over and buy a wardrobe that works together and have fewer but better choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I love that phrase "fewer but better choices". I don't buy expensive items so I don't feel bad changing my "look" every few years. I do have one nicer long black dress .... in case of weddings or funerals. Looking forward to Wednesday!

      Delete
  2. Well, you definitely have Style my Friend, which must be Possessed and can't be Bought like mere Fashion. Love that Khaki ensemble, you look bangin' in it. I wear what I Love and is most comfortable and authentic to Self. I get complimented by Young People about my Style a lot, and they don't have to do that to any of us Old Folk, so I figure it's sincere and they mean it. In fact, some ask me where I got whatever I'm wearing so they can buy one in their sizes, so The Granddaughter and I started stocking our Showroom at the Antique Mall with our Aesthetic of Wardrobe and now the Demographic of Customer we get is the right one and Teens thru about 30 Age Group, the ones who will spend the Money right now in a shaky Economy and whose priority is just looking good and feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have MY style ... and you definitely have your own style. And you are wise to understand your sales demographic! Very cool that people ask WHERE they can get your look!! You go grrl!

      Delete
  3. I just hate clothes shopping in general. Ive never had good style, just dress as to what might fit. Funny how people are different...hats look horrendous on me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate shopping! That's why once I have 5-6 things to mix and match, I'm happy. No more decisions. I have a rather pointy head and I hope the hats are disguising that. But mainly I started when my hair began thinning! Thanks for reading! (How do you blog so often???)

      Delete

Tiny Things

Life doesn't always require grand gestures.   Sometimes it's a greeting card saved for just the right moment. A text that simply ask...