Saturday, June 15, 2024

MODERN CHEMISTRY

 


It's almost a full time job keeping up with my medications, vitamins, minerals, and supplements.  I hardly have to eat food I take so much!  Now I have to keep a list of everything I take because EVERYONE asks if I am on any medication.  Even the dentist! Now I can just email or print for them.

Every time I am prescribed something, I have a serious talk with my PCP and my pharmacy.  Interactions are possible despite this being the 21st century.  Do you even read the paperwork that comes with meds, including over the counter stuff?  No kidding, I wouldn't even take an aspirin if I paid too much attention to side effects!


The organizing and timing is also a time consuming hobby.  Amazon has a million kinds of checklists and log books.  I did finally succumb and get a "week at a glance" pill organizer.  One med I have to take twice a day an hour before eating, so I bought one of these to stick on the bottle so I can now multitask.


A new one for osteoporosis is once a month ... I can use my Apple calendar for that one.  Taken an hour before eating or drinking and remaining upright for at least an hour!  Serious!


I really never took supplements until about 65.  My fantastic PCP has been adding his suggestions (as well as my healthy younger sister!)  As you age, older adults can have difficulty absorbing some vitamins, especially vitamin B12. We Senior Sisters may very well benefit from a quality multivitamin and others.  Currently I am enjoying a delightful assortment of:


Multivitamin

Cranberry Extract 

Vitamin D3 

Vitamin E  

Calcium 

CoQ10 

Coenzyme B-Complex

Probiotics

Curcumin phytosome (stronger than turmeric)


Some days I can't decide if I am taking too much stuff or not enough.  But I believe prescription drugs are an essential part of high quality medical treatment, especially preventative.


2 comments:

  1. I got so tired of taking pills that I quit taking all the over the counter supplements. After my next round of blood tests I'll see if I harmed myself or not. I'll probably start in again, though, once my doctor finds out what I did. It does help, though, to put up a month of pills at a time rather than do it weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I skip the OTC stuff, too. I'm not sure I could do a MONTH at a time ... all my prescriptions are refilled on different days and weeks! At this point in time, at least we are ABLE to do our own refills!

      Delete

EMBRACING AGING

Aging is the hardest job we’ve ever had, in my humble opinion. There is so much advice on how we should handle aging. But each year it becom...