Saturday, June 22, 2024

EMBRACING AGING


Aging is the hardest job we’ve ever had, in my humble opinion. There is so much advice on how we should handle aging. But each year it becomes a little more difficult to do so.


The change in our appearance is shocking, as are the physical limitations that come with being old. But it’s not just the infirmities. It’s the losses. As we age we lose beloved family members, friends, neighbors, work colleagues and finally our independence. Driving seems to be the hardest freedom to let go.  I plan to retire from driving at 80.  I am lucky to be able to do this as I live with two drivers (and a third will be getting his license in three years!)


Aging can also be hard work because of the physical changes that occur, such as hearing and vision loss, memory loss, and muscle loss. These changes can make it difficult to maintain social connections, which can lead to feelings of loneliness or isolation


Trust me, it’s not something we “embrace.” Aging embraces us.  Aging is a gift, a chance to keep growing, learning and experiencing life in new ways.  Have you noticed a new movie trend featuring over 80 actresses?  Rita Moreno is 91 and was in a movie with Jane Fonda (86), Lily Tomlin (84) (I think the movie is 80 for Brady.  Not very good but inspiring that they have the energy to do it!)


Life is not as great as it used to be, but complaining about it makes it worse.  Looking forward to August 21 ~ National Senior Citizens Day.


That's the way it is!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about this movie! Is it in the theaters? Or streaming some where?

    The hardest part about aging for me it the sense that I still have so many things left to do before I die and I'm running out of time. Aside from that aging requires so much TIME spent at doctor's offices and doing things like putting on compression socks, etc.

    You are lucky to have family who can drive you around when you give up your license.

    ReplyDelete

CHEERFUL RECOVERY

Yes, I am STILL recovering from Tooth 13 root canal infection.  I have a regime of an antifungal lozenge 3x day for ten days.  They are NOT ...