Sunday, October 20, 2024

FINDOUTOLOGIST

I think I missed my career calling.  After high school, I have been a secretary.  Oh yeh, lots of different titles but really a secretary.  I still am.  A Jill of All Trades who manages routine and detail work for others.  (Yes, I still know enough shorthand so I can make secret lists that no one else can read).  I should have been a Private Eye.


Private detectives and investigators gather, analyze, and report information to clients regarding legal or personal matters.  As a secretary, I did all of these!  I kept notes on a Rolodex (those were the days before computers) so before a meeting I would remind my boss of the invitee’s spouse, kids, things from the news, bring in all files relating … and how they took their coffee.  Yes, I even did coffee.


Now in my volunteer life, I still enjoy keeping track of things.  And writing them down.  People are often amazed but it’s just instinct to me.  If our organization asks for RSVPs for an event, I write them down.  Even if it comes in on a day I am not managing the virtual office, I add it to my list.  The day before the Ted Talk or Happy Hour or whatever, I will forward the names and a head count to the host.


We do a monthly newsletter so if I see something interesting in the news, I send it to our Chair to let them decide whether or not to use.  Our Village represents two cities with most members in my city.  I research both cities (Parks and Rec, Library, Adult Centers, etc) so the other city gets equal info.


I just like finding out things.  A Findoutologist. I have total Senior ADD as one thing leads to another and somehow three hours go by.  I need to start setting an alarm for an hour at a time so I get up and move around!




AARP Founder Ethel Percy Andrus once said, “old age is not a defeat, but a victory, not a punishment, but a privilege.”







2 comments:

  1. It's easy to get lost in research. I set an alarm, too, when I sit down at my computer. Old time secretaries (and I suppose, current age ones as well) really did/do make their bosses look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you watched Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix? Only 3 seasons but terrific private detectives!

      Delete

FINDOUTOLOGIST

I think I missed my career calling.   After high school, I have been a secretary.   Oh yeh, lots of different titles but really a secretary....